- Millenium Develompment Goals (MDGs) have yielded the most successful anti-poverty movement in the history and will be the stepping stone for new Sustainable Development Goals/SDGs agenda. Two decades ago, almost half of developing countries lived in extreme poverty. At present, the number of people who live in extreme poverty has decreased more than a half, from 1.9 billion in 1990 into 836 million in 2015.
- As many as 193 members of United Nations have reached a consensus on a document which is oriented on the result of new sustainable development agenda, entitled, “Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”.
- Economic gap still occurs between the poorest and the riconhomecsst families, and between villages and cities. Children from 20 percent poorest families face double probabilities to undergo stunted growth compared to the children of 20 percent riconhomecsst families, and they also four times probable to drop out schools.
- As an effort to reduce and minimize the impact of the problem above, household/family as the smallest unit of society should play an important role. The important role can be implemented by fulfilling human basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, health and security, and education access.
- Home economics is the branch of science which analyzes the achievement of human prosperity which covers 1) child development and guidance, 2) consumer education, 3) food and nutrition, 4) individual and family health, 5) fashion, textile and apparel, 6) family and human development, and 7) housing and furnishings. Home economics main contribution is not only on the basic need fulfillment but also guarantee on the quality, security, and sustainability through the use of innovation, technology, as well as information and communication.
- Based on that background, this conference is conducted as a concern from home economics society to give real contribution to the acceleration of SDGs targets achievement. The involvement of academics, practitioners, educators, and bureaucrats is expected to present research findings and smart ideas on education, health, economics, social and culture. This involvement is essential due to one of home economic mission i.e. to reach individual, family, and society prosperity.